Run fast ... fall down

Run fast ... fall down

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I can't wait to hug Merrilee

After another year of obsessing about crossing the finishing line at the Leadville 100, I sit here <4 days before the start hoping that my body can hold out for what's about to be thrown at it. My training is weak compared to many other racers, but it's the best I can do to keep overuse injuries to a minimum. In the last 37 weeks since I had my knees cut open, I've amassed 600 miles, 110,000 ft of elevation gain, in 152 outings. My longest run was the Leadville Marathon (26.2, 6000 ft gain) on July 2. My biggest weeks were the end of May, first of June. 2 weeks in a row over 40 miles. Biggest week of elevation gain had 11,290.

I have had some injury setbacks but have felt reasonably well all August. List of setbacks include: several bouts of toddler induced bugs, a pulled hamstring, aggravated right medial patellar retinaculum,  and food poisoning. And right now, I'm rocking some kind of Bronchial funk and phantom pains all over my body.

I've completed my taper, tested all of my race day attire strategies, packed bags, and written my crew plans. I'll be following the 29:45 racing plan. I've studied this chart a million times:


We'll see what happens in 4 days! Let's hope I get a hug from Merrilee and a spiffy new belt buckle.

No comments:

Post a Comment